The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

NOTE: As of the last sim, this league was under the minimum 20% capacity. Invite your friends to join MyFootballNow to keep this league alive! Then send them to this league to become the owner of a team! The league will expire at 9/26/2024 8:01 am.

League Forums

Main - League Help

Re: Diary of a GM

By Ba_Bangers
6/20/2023 7:29 am
Please do no reply to this thread, if you have any questions please PM me (in Discord) or go to Discord

Welcome to my Project for the upcoming season. In an effort to break down the game planning process into something people can follow my plan is to document through a Diary the Paris season. Hopefully providing some insight into why decisions are made off the field as well as building up a gameplan from scratch.... ish.

I intend to cover:

- Early Free Agency
- Draft Round by Round
- Post Draft and TC
- Starting a Gameplan in Pre-season Before the game if I can manage it
- Each (if not most Regular Season games) to show how the gameplan evolves over competitive play. Post Game

Generally, there will be a delay in what I write, but I'm hoping breaking it down like this might help people follow along.

My intention is not to prescribe how you should be playing, for example, I won't be saying use these formations, but to show you how to make the decisions of what to do independently.
Last edited at 6/20/2023 7:32 am

Re: Diary of a GM

By Ba_Bangers
7/05/2023 11:25 am
Early Free Agency

Let's cover Early FA quite quickly. This year there was decent players available, some with decent life left in them. There was definitely opportunities to acquire players to improve.

So let's go through this quickly:

Those we Signed
DT - Glub Glub Funcklesnacks - This was my own stupidity. I forgot I hadn't resigned him and left it too late and he transferred over, costing me a decent chunk of money. I like him as DT because of his Run Defence and Strength, plus Pass Rush and Tackle Ability are not awful for a backup.

MLB -> SS Randy Oldham - I rate him 72 at SS by my Weights. I will publish these in due course. Zone, M2M and Punish all good, Tackle mediocre at best and medium speed, but will gain a little as he goes on a diet. Will be solid SS for us and will allow some flexibility to move Secondary around to CB. Plus covers us for insurance heading into next years Retirement Lottery.

FB David Salter - A decent and actually quite quick FB with plenty of mileage left before retirement. Good blocking for both Run and Pass, Pass Catching is good and Route Running excellent. Does give food for thought of Nonklebing's future after being a solid RB/FB for us.

This covers us nicely with a decent backup DT. Nunsmark is declining and probably will get chopped next season if not this one. Oldham gives us much needed flexibility at Secondary and gives a bit of breathing room to sort stuff out in the draft. It allows possibly Loufoquerie to play CB permanently for a season or two. It doesn't solve our impending changing of the guard in this department though. Salter gives us another excellent option at FB. Actually quite a similar player to Flungesponk, It could allow Flungesponk to play TE for a season and keep Nonklebing, but arguably we have got two excellent options for that already and that could be a bit of a waste. Nonklebing may have player his last game for Paris.

Offers Not Accepted
FB Troy Henry - See Salter Reasoning, but slower.

TE John Abstan - Solid Backup TE for us, or any team. Good Blocking, not too slow and good stats for receiving as well.

C Ryan Hall - Solid Offensive Lineman, Good Strength, Excellent block for both and can Snap. Would have allow flexibility to allow Alston to go. Kind of regret not going for it properly with a bid. But hey ho. Plenty of life in the tank.

DT John Jones - See what I was talking about for Funcklesnacks. I forgot to mention acceleration, but this is important for players that need to get up to Speed Quickly, say in a Blitz rather than overall top speed. Or at least.... that's my theory.

DT Ray Vance -- Very Similar to previous DT posts but overall more rounded player, less exceptional as Run Defence, but still more than capable for a Solid backup player for us, or DT1/2 for others.

That's a brief summary of FA for Paris. Hopefully also giving some idea as to the reasoning that was behind certain moves. Paris is a well stocked squad, it's just started to get to the aging and changing of the guard point.

Going forward, will follow an outline of the drafting process for Paris after draft and maybe TC. In the meantime I intend to publish the Parisian Weights to the Forums in a separate post, to give some guidance as to the logic of certain decisions where it appears that I've diverged from default weighting a bit.

Safe Drafting
Last edited at 7/05/2023 11:26 am